SAScon Conference 2012, Manchester – Day 2
Dom Hodgson – Hodgetastic
Laurence O’Toole – Owner, Analytics SEO
Teddie Cowell – SEO Director, NetBooster
Malcolm Maybury – Director, 360spin
Chris Johnson – Agency Product Specialist, Google
Mobile Use in Local Search
- 1 in 3 mobile searches are local (local modifier or maps query).
- The trick is to fathom how keywords perform differently on mobile (compared to desktops)
Las Vegas Hotels campaign given as an example:
- Desktop site geared towards out-of-towners/tourists – people who intend to visit Las Vegas.
- Mobile sites are often (or should be) geared towards local search.
- Importance of splitting your campaign between mobile and desktop.
Google Wallet will become more important (a prediction…)
- With this you can give customers offers through your paid search
- Discounts from vouchers/offers will be discounted automatically upon buying.
- Local targeting will make up a big chunk of these sort of campaigns
Google sitelinks change dynamically dependent on location
- Google Places creates opportunities for SMEs – owners of small businesses can easily get their site visible for locally relevant searches.
- Businesses consider location or local search to be extremely important and relevant.
Google Business Photos
- This is ‘Street View’ but for the inside of your business premises.
- Animated icons underneath the Google map to encourage people to “look inside”.
- Currently 20 certified photographers in the UK.
- Serves as an enhancement to your business listing.
A different view on local search….(from Lawrence O’Toole)
- “Local Search” on Mobile is not as big as you think….yet”
What is Google’s definition of a “local search”?
- Well it’s hard to define and it’s a bit of everything.
- Half of mobile searches are being done through applications
- Around 48% of mobile searches are unique to the user
- Some advice: Optimise for local apps
What will local search look like in the future?
- Voice search
- Even more video
- Near Field Communication (NFC)
- Optimise your location based pages for local search
- Enhance your Google Places listing (with rich content)