SASCON 2012 : The Psychology in Search and Social
Bas van den Beld, Search & Social Strategist & State of Search @basvandenbeld
We want what other people have.
- E.g. Keeping up with the Jonses (recommends the film)
Its hard to resist peer pressure
- E.g. The Jagger train from the first last night of SASCon.
We can’t resist our kids
- E.g supermarket gave away personal football cards with childs’ photo.
- Music in store targeted pregnant mums to calm unborn babies, resulting in less temper tantrums in store after the child is born.
- Kids music played encouraging kids to ask for candy (Amazing little dance By Bas Van Den Beld)
- There’s normally a different story and outcome depending on who tells it. E.g. Dunkirk/Zeitgeist
- Ultimate in social – Jesus :started with 12 followers… One of the disciples un-followed him… you know the rest…
Human beings need to connect with others.
- Eric Schmidt (Google) – keep an eye on him, everything he says publicly preceeds a big change.
Famously said recently “We know where you are, we know what you like”
- Google is using connections, account data and social signals.
- Social signals include:
- Your identity and profile
- Your friends and contacts
- What you do
- Google maps
- You can perform a search on your desktop, move to your car, open Google navigation, and the address you just searched on your desktop is available immediately (if you’re logged in).
- Google knows who you are connected to though your social graph.
- Google knows that we trust the people we know, which is why they’re building social recommendations into the search results.
- Click through rates have increased greatly for results with social recommendation.
- They’re adding the ‘thank you’ button for shared content to encourage people to use Google Plus.
Facebook campaign for Obermuden
- We need to have the right mindset and do the right type of marketing.
- Obermuden tourist board said that if you like thier page, they’ll print your picture out and put your photo on their bulliten board in the village.
- Their Facebook followers increased massively.
- Tourism increased.
- People wont trust you if you say you’re good, they will trust you if people say you’re good ( particularly someone they trust).
- Target people with trust. Stop sellong, start sharing. Be personal.
- Target those who will tell your story in a personal way.
- Give them stuff, make them laugh.
What would you choose, search or social?
- It’s the same thing.