Over the past week we have noticed that WordPress blogs (including this one) have not been indexed by Google. After investigation we decided to deactivate all of our plugins, upgrade the blog and ensure that it was being pinged out to all of the search engines and it seems to have worked!
The steps we took were:
- Backup the blog files
- Backup the database using WordPress Database Backup
- Disable all plugins through the admin
- Follow the instructions to upgrade WordPress
- Ensure that the blog is secure using WP Security Scan
- Enable only essential plugins
The only problem now is that we’re not using Feedburner and several of our other plugins are still disabled. Several people have commented that it may be Feedburner that is causing the blog not to be indexed so we have now installed Joost de Valk’s RSS Footer plugin which links back to the blog and have re-enabled Feedburner.
If you have any more suggestions or have had similar problems then please let us know by leaving a comment.